fot

Re: Re: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly...

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly...
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:52:18 +1300
"in every single case I was speeding"..............exceeding a speed limit
outside a built up area has almost nothing to do with being a good or bad
driver, in each of the 20-30 cases were you driving too fast for the
conditions? The whole logic has been twisted by authorities to keep money
rolling in, they actually want you to speed - the problem is made far worse
in the UK with speed cameras (or talivans/mobile mugging machines). You get
a bill through the post and points on your licence - if you can't or won't
say who was driving ..........you get fined and points on your
licence.........in fact it is possible to lose your licence in the UK
without ever having driven there. The other trick in the UK is to
artificially lower a speed limit (all in the name of road safety) and stick
up cash machines. Nottingham City Council have been most annoyed that their
state of the art system that checked speed over a distance has been losing
money as not enough obliging people have been speeding - and they couldn't
afford  to extend it! So drivers obey the law and the authorities complain -
simple answer, lower the limits as we have become addicted to the money
coming in - and all in the cause of road safety. Again in the UK there
appears to be a correlation that the more speed cameras there are the more
the accident rate goes up so they don't actually work, but it does bring in
huge amounts of cash.
John Kipping