fot

RE: Torques - last shot

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Torques - last shot
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:53:59 -0600
I'm always impressed with the collective wisdom on this list.

Final shot from me on the torque business --

a number of years ago I built a 1934 Rolls Royce engine for a restoration.
The pieces were brought to me in gunny sacks, Mason jars, and dirty boxes.
Interesting job. There were more parts in that darned engine than there are
in a whole Triumph, I think. For example, each of the seven (right - seven)
main bearings was fed by a separate oil line containing seven pieces.

The engine was made of several pieces -- oil sump, crankcase top half
containing the main bearings, engine block with the cooling passages, and
the head on top. They were all held together with -- I kid you not -- a
whole lot of 1/4" studs that were anchored at the bottom in the aluminum
crankcase. They went through all the castings between the crankcase and the
top of the head, and if memory serves, they were about a foot long.

I was really concerned about those long 1/4" studs going into 50 year old
aluminum, and about the possibility of stretching them, pulling the threads
out of the aluminum, etc so I researched the engine specs pretty
thoroughly. I finally found the torque spec in the original factory literature:

"Medium pull on a four inch Tommy Bar."

That was back when men were men and some of them were skilled
mechanics..............

At 12:16 PM 3/17/2004, you wrote:
>That works for me. I have copied John.
>
>We work on it at my house. I have engine hoist and all the stuff. We
>anticipated pulling to engine.
>
>John may suggest something different. If something really awful happened
>and we need more shop support the YARD is not far away. If the car is
>rolling we can move it!
>
>We were just beginning to stir on this issue.
>
>I want to be at SVRA event at RA, the BRIC, and the VSCDA in Fall. I
>would do other stuff but time and expense of travel will limit me. This
>condition will exist for at least two summers--Hahna at Princeton and
>Zach at Boston College, or until only one of them is in college
>supported by Me.
>
>John F.

uncle jack