fot

RE: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:33:51 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Joe Curry wrote:

> I use an 2002 Avalanche with a 5.3 V8 and I can't even feel the trailer
> behind.  I get about 18 mpg towing.

I'll take a wild guess that you have an open trailer. The difference
between an open trailer and an enclosed trailer is quite substantial. I
just bought a Pace 20 foot enclosed trailer and the empty weight is a tad
over 3000 pounds. That empty weight is equivalent my old open trailer with
the car on it.

I'm with the previous poster - more is more betterer when you pull an
enclosed trailer. 5.3 liters is marginal, the 6.0 is better. Diesel is the
best (if you can lay out the cash.) Also note that gears will help a lot
(go for 3.73 or 4.10 on the GM products). The 4.10 gears will move your
GCWR up a couple of thousand pounds.

> Joe (C)

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |