fot

Re: Opinions on engine problem

To: Fot@autox.team.net, lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Opinions on engine problem
From: Don Elliott <elliott@videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:54:02 -0500
I had a horrible noise in my TR3A last summer.  It would start easily enough
but for about the next two miles or so, it sounded like someone had 6 spoons
in a coffee can and was under the hood shaking it all about.  It first
happened at TRA in Auburn, Indiana (1000 miles driven to get there from
Montreal) and at the same campground was Rich Morris from Ohio whom I've
known since 1996.  I also knew that Rich was in cardiology and jokingly
asked him if he had his stethoscope.  Well - he did !   He brought it over
that cool June morning just before I was to start it up.  When I did, he was
listening.  Wouldn't you believe it, there was no noise at all.

But that same afternoon it came back.  All 6 spoons, the coffee cup and the
gremlin who was doing it.  The next Thursday and 800 miles later, I was at
Mosport on the way home and stayed to watch and film the Triumph races.  I
pulled the starter and lubed it, put it back in and it's been silent ever
since.  The long starter in my TR3A spins the pinion gear towards the rear
of the car to engage the flywheel.  The small pinion gear was not retracting
all the way and the teeth of the flywheel were "zinging" on the teeth of the
starter pinion.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal
http://www.tr-register.co.uk/images/memberscars/trusty.jpg