fot

1500 midget crank vs. spitfire crank

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 midget crank vs. spitfire crank
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:12:32 -0800
All,

A little clarification/help/information is needed.

We've been doing a little research lately and are finding that 1500 midget
crankshafts seem to be weighing about 7 lbs less than the equivalent 1500
spitfire crankshaft.  We seem to be getting 3lbs safely off the spitfire crank
and are thinking that if the midget crank really weighs less than it might be
a good option.

This car is for limited prep SCCA so the rule states that the stock crankshaft
must be used.  The casting numbers seem to be the same, and the bearings etc
are all the same...in fact they are same motor.

Does anybody out there know if the spit and midget motors were made in the
same facility or were they spread out.  Or are the weights we are coming up
with just random and part of the process variation?

Do the parts books (official Leyland) show the cranks to be the same part
number?

Aaron Johnson
#38 FP Spit Mk4 Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9