fot

Loss of power at LRP

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loss of power at LRP
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:20:06 -0400
I raced in the SCCA National at Lime Rock this past weekend.  First
time that I have run a 30 lap race here, which is about 45 miles.  I
got down to a 1:02.311 during the race, which is my fastest time at
LRP, but still 2 seconds off of the front running RX7s.  The car
handled great on the 9" slicks - like it was on rails!  I sure missed
the Weber carbs that I can run with the vintage SCCA group.  I
finished 5th in class (EP) out of 8 cars and 10th overall out of 29
cars.  I am happy with that for my first time at this level of
competition.  My car needs to loose 300 pounds to be at the minimum
SCCA weight, but not sure that I can get that much off of it.  Still
waiting for some fiberglass rear fenders from England.

Anyway, with 3 laps to go, I started loosing power right after the
downhill.  This is the last turn before the main straight.  It is a
flatout righthand turn at the bottom of a hill.  I am doing about 6000
rpm in 4th gear here and wide-open-throttle (WOT).  This is after 2
other righthand turns, connected by short straights, which were also
at WOT.  My first thought is that I was running low on fuel, since
this was the longest that I ever went, but the car finished with 1/4
tank, which is 2 gallons - should be enough.  I have an 8 gallon cell
with 2 pick-ups - one in each rear corner, and 2 fuel pumps.  I lost
one overall position due to this problem and could not catch another
car that was in front - oh well.

I was using SU H6 carbs, which feed from a Holly pressure regulator
set to 3#s.  I am using viton tipped float needle jets.

The loss of power was like I lost 2 cylinders.  It did not missfire,
but just lost power.  When this was happening, the fuel pressure was
going up to 4 #s.   I was thinking that a float was hanging up, but
not sure why the pressure was going up like that - maybe the regulator
is on its was out?  There was not sign of fuel in the overflow/vent
hoses, but they may have all dryed out by the time that I got back to
the paddock.  I did have the tubes T into one hose that I ran out down
by the frame - not sure that was such a great idea and will run
separate lines for each.    Any ideas of what is going on here from
the group?  Joe(B)