fot

Re: Need help -- probably non-LBC, darn it

To: spitfiresuz@141.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need help -- probably non-LBC, darn it
From: JFrymark@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:38:25 EDT
Sorry, make that the WILLOW Run plant. (I'm mixing my River Rouges with my
Willow Runs)

"After entering World War II in  1941, America desperately needed military
equipment and supplies. The Ford Motor  Company had begun building this factory
in April 1941. Outstanding industrial  architect Albert Kahn designed Willow
Run, one of the largest manufacturing  plants under one roof in the world.
Completed in early 1942, this bulwark of the  "Arsenal of Democracy" produced
8685
B-24 Liberator Bombers and had a peak  employment of 42,000 men and women.
After the war, the newly formed  Kaiser-Frazer Corporation -- in an
unsuccessful
effort to create a large scale  automotive empire -- occupied this plant.
Here the company manufactured the  first of 739,039 passenger cars, as well as
military aircraft. In 1953  Kaiser-Frazer transferred its diminishing
operations
from Willow Run to Toledo,  Ohio, and Argentina."

Wow, I didn't know the Kaiser -Frazer part! It doesn't  get more vintage than
that!

In a message dated 6/18/2004 4:28:43 PM Pacific  Daylight Time,