fot

RE: Spacers and Axles

To: "'MARK J WEATHERS'" <markjwea@email.msn.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spacers and Axles
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:10:43 -0700
I have an over-active imagination for mechanical things. I can picture the
axle flexing and what it's doing to the bearings and shaft. Not pretty. If
the flexing is enough to push the pucks back (and we all know it is) then
the outside edge of the disk is moving at least 1/8". That's got to be
transferring all the load on the outer bearing to a single roller or two at
the top of the bearing. And they're little guys, and they don't have much of
a way to retain grease--it all gets squeezed to the big empty void between
the bearings. You'd think the races would pound out.