fot

RE: Accusump in my future

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Accusump in my future
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:56:48 -0700
I think an accusump is a great idea, but it might not have saved the motor.
Marginal bearings are at least as likely to be the problem. The aluminum
bearings don't just fail when they are under-lubricated, they fail when they
are over stressed. When they go the result looks just like no oil--the
bearing wipes and everything goes bang. If you said "the oil pressure light
came on and a few seconds later the engine quit". But I bet the engine quit
and when you looked down the oil pressure light came on.

The big question is, what ruined the lifter? Did it suffer physical damage
from all the other stuff or does it show lack of lube?

As soon as I have time I'm going to put my accusump back into Peyote, but I
don't want to graft it into the oil cooler lines. I want it to feed straight
to the galley, which means drilling and tapping--which I won't do unless the
engine is apart and I can fully control the chips. I think this is the best
way to install them, and you'll certainly have that option now.