fot

Problems on the track

To: <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems on the track
From: "Chuck Arnold" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:19:43 -0700
Did a track day yesterday -- first time out with a lot of changes.

Three strange problems:

A lot of "shaking" on heavy acceleration -- hope it is just the prop shaft out
of phase, else I face a lot of investigation. It is a newly rebuilt short
block by a very good builder. Pretty sure all is balanced well. Hope it is not
the flywheel coming loose -- though I drove at least 100 hot laps with it and
had no external manifestations of problems. Perhaps it could be some part of
the motor mounts not tight -- bud did tighten them well I am sure. Any other
ideas on where to check?

The second problem is disappearing water. The sessions last twenty minutes. By
the end the water temp is up to 240. When I check the overflow bottle after
the sessions, it is half full. The radiator is down two quarts. I see no
evidence of water leaks in the system. Where is it going?

Third --oil pressure. This is a brand new engine, new oil pump. Now has 250
miles on it. Has .04 over forged AE pistons. Accusump, pan baffles.. External
oil feed to number one cylinder. Engine has 50 pounds oil pressure when cold.
As it warms up, the pressure drops to 24-24 pounds. Never saw it go lower, but
my warning light [which comes from a different sensor than the oil pressure
sensor] that comes on at about 27 pounds was lit for most of the sessions. So
-- it this too low? If so, what can be done to improve it?

The car performs well. Pulled 6200 RPMs in 5th [Toyota Transmission] at the
end of the straight at SIR {Now Pacific Raceways} which means about 125 mph.

Chuck Arnold
Technical Manager
Oracle Northwest Fulfillment Practice
425 241 0457 [cell]