fot

SCCA Divisionals

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: SCCA Divisionals
From: Walt Hollowell <walt@hot-tr6.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:33:14 -0600
Just got back form SCCA Rock Mountain Solo II Divisionals that were held in
Farmington, New Mexico. They have a 13 acre parking lot that we set up a
fast .65 mile autcross course. Good weather. Lots of fun. I won my class (F
Prepared) in my 76 TR6. Finally was able to bet the power to the ground.
Installed a Borg and Beck competition pressure plate a week ago and now I
can really launch off the line well.I rev up to about 5,500 RPM then dump
the clutch and the rear 225/50/15 Hoosires just light up then bite and the
car jumps forward without bogging down. Saturday I fought a mild carb burble
(triple Webers) at about 3,200 RPM. Not a good place to have a   hiccup when
you are racing. So Sunday morning I swapped out the fuel filter, cleaned the
plugs and closed the gap from .025 to .023 then I advanced the timing by two
degrees (Mallory dual point mechanical distributor). Engine ran perfectly
the rest of the day. Strong as heck.
There were five heats on Sunday (six on Sat) On my second run on Sunday I
turned in a blisteringly fast (for me) time but for the
next three heats I couldn't get the handling balance just right on the car.
I had to do a lot of sawing with the steering wheel in the fast sweepers
etc. The event stewards thought I was conducting my own drifting school.When
I went to put my street wheels/tires on for the trip home I found that the
front left sway bar bracket that attaches to the lower "A" arm had broken.
That is why I couldn't get the old TR6 to handle like I wanted to. This was
my only mechanical failure of the weekend. I'll replace it tonight.   This
is the second sway bar bracket I have broken this year so I am going to work
on a stronger design. The stock bracket is very thin and doesn't cut the
7/8" front sway bar (3/4" in rear) stress in performance mode.
Fun Times

Walter Hollowell
Albuquerque, New Mexico
6,28,04