fot

Re: More oil

To: Gt6steve@aol.com, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More oil
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:26:33 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/2004 9:37:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Gt6steve@aol.com writes:

Putting  in a freshly reground crank today I note that again, the rod journal

supply holes are poorly aligned with the supply groove in the main  bearings
so
I dutifully chamfer the holes to provide maximum  coverage.

I find your wording rather confusing, main, rod, etc...
I think I know what you're trying to say, however.

Anyway, the way I remember it is the oil gets pumped into the block oil
galleries. Amongst other destinations, they come to a hole in each main
bearing
area which is aligned to the hole in each main bearing.  The  main bearings are
fixed in location, the hole is always aligned.

The oil flows thru the hole in the main bearing and fills the continuous
(360 degree)groove and what doesn't leak past the crank/bearing surface
continues into the hole in the crank.  From there it goes to the adjacent  rod
bearing(s) and lubricates that area.

I don't think there is any significance of BDC alignment, but I could be
wrong.

Enlarging/aligning the main bearing hole may be of help, but the flow  is
limited by how much oil makes it by the main bearings to the sump and the rod
bearings to the sump.  Maximizing the potential flow by  enlarging/aligning the
holes is not a bad idea.

"cross drilling" the oil holes in the crank to enlarge these galleries is a
method to increase flow to the rods.  Drilling the galleries in the block
ditto.  (kinda like the external rocker feed to the head).

I haven't checked, but I would expect that the comp prep manuals deal  with
this.

Does this make any sence?

Clark

74 Spitfire, 71 Stag
"Reality... it's  not what you think"
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
_www.cwnicholls.com_ (http://www.cwnicholls.com/)
fax: 419-844-7564  (yes, 419 provided free by efax.com)
phone:  413-243-3433