fot

RE: On Track Photo

To: stilton@protoprod.com
Subject: RE: On Track Photo
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:36:23 -0400
Hi Scott:

Yes, The White TR3 ran poorly almost the whole weekend at VIR. Craig, Don,
Leo, Dean, and others worked on it to no avail practically all weekend. I
didn't even complete a whole lap of Track Touring! After I returned to
Maryland, I worked on it some more.

I got Old Reliable, The Blue TR3, out for the first time since October and
it runs perfectly. I didn't even check the oil or clean out the mouse nests
when I drove it to the Mason-Dixon TRA Picnic the Sunday after VIR.

The White Car still doesn't run right. I replaced everything in the ignition
system except the guts of the distributor. It will idle fine and even rev
fine at first, but if you continue to rev it, it will misfire. If you let it
idle a bit, it will run O.K. again, but if you rev it again, it will misfire
until you let it idle a while.

I feel that the fuel flow is enough for idle, but above idle, the engine is
using fuel from the float chambers faster than it is replenished, so the
level drops causing a lean mixture and misfiring. I tried replacing the fuel
filter and electric pump and turning up the fuel pressure regulator. It's a
little better, but still not right.

I wonder if the bladder and/or foam in the fuel cell is deteriorating and
clogging up the fuel line. Airplane bladders do that after several years,
especially if they are left dry.

I took The Blue Car to British Car Day the following Sunday (June 27) even
though I had registered The White Car. I will probably do the same at
Gettysburg on Sunday and VTR the following week. I just don't feel like
messing with The White Car, when Old Reliable is runs so well. I don't think
anyone will notice that The Blue Car is a '59 and I registered a '57.

See you at VTR?
John