fot

RE: TR4 spark plugs

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>,
Subject: RE: TR4 spark plugs
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:26:58 -0500
>Ah, yes. Iridium spark plugs. The good and bad of it:

The NGK guys at the PRI show in Indianapolis showed me a videotape of the
spark action on a regular plug and a fine wire Iridium. Terriffic
difference. This was good.

Bought a set of NGK iridums -- price four times higher. This was bad.

Admired them, put them in, felt great about having the latest technology.
This was good.

Went to the track -- didn't run any faster -- this was bad.

Plus, they don't last worth a hoot when a rod breaks and the piston bounces
off the plug and breaks the insulator. That means my big blowup will cost
$5 more because I have to replace a spark plug too. This is doubly bad.

I keep trying all these things that come along, looking for the silver
bullet. Space age ignition wires, goofy ignition systems to light the
fires, a whole shelf-full of camshafts, roller rockers that are really
pretty but don't seem to do anything. No silver bullets. This is bad.

I'm going back to my NGK el cheapos that have worked just fine all these
years, and my conscience won't bother me when I decide to "throw a new set
of plugs in 'er". This is good.

Plus, I get to entertain my FOT friends with this drivel. This may be good
or bad, depending on your point of view.

uncle jack