fot

Axle Steel

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Axle Steel
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:18:31 -0700
All you metallurgists out there, I need some help.

In trying to get my stub axles built, I am seeking recommendations for
the type of steel stock from which to turn down the shafts I am
designing and afterwards have them heat treated.  So I need stock that
is strong and will take heat treatment to make a part that will hold up
to the rigors of independent syspension.

I am not familiar with all the specs of the various metals so I am
relying on the wisdom of this group to provide not only a recommendation
for the type to use and also any sources for the blank material from
which to machine them.

I am thinking that I need to start with round material 5" in diameter
and about 7" long for each axle.

Thanks in advance,
Joe (C)