fot

ARP Bolt Failure?

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: ARP Bolt Failure?
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:42:52 -0500
I pass along the following for whatever interest it may generate.  A couple of
weekends ago at Road America, my new Spitfire motor blew up in a pretty
impre$$ive manner.  My first thought was that a rod bolt on #2 had broken --
the #2 rod cap was seriously damaged and one of the bolt holes in the cap is
now D-shaped -- clearly, the ARP rod-bolt was not in its hole when that damage
occurred.  But, these being ARP rod-bolts, I concluded that there must be some
other explanation -- that it had been starved of oil or something.

On disassembly, however, none of the other bearings show any real wear.  My dad
(with 40-some years of experience in the engine building business) took a look
at the mess and concluded an ARP rod bolt broke.  He showed the mess to a
Caterpillar Certified Failure Analysis Instructor, who concluded an ARP rod
bolt broke.  See below for that discussion.

Anyone else have experience of ARP rod bolts failing?

Scott