fot

Brake pedals, line pressures and vacume

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake pedals, line pressures and vacume
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:21:46 -0400
Amici,

Am in the search for a working solution to big rotors and calipers front and
rear on my TR6.  I am working with the guys at Precision Brakes in Oregon to
make this happen.  But I need to compile some numbers which I'll have to
average out as they seem to vary from one car (and driver) to another.

As some background, the stock TR6 pedal ratio is 3.85:1, stock m/c is 3/4",
and the vacume booster provides 250 lbs net force (Nelson Reidel, Buckeye
Triumphs).

Questions:

1) What do y'all think your line pressures are in your brake system?  Please
state if you are quoting pressures for your TR4/4a or TR250/6.

2) How much distance does your brake pedal travel from when the slop is
taken out of the system (and the brakes start to bite) to when the pedal
gets very firm (but not a panic stop)?

The guys at Precison estimate that with Wilwood Dynalite calipers, 5/8" m/c
and no brake booster, I will see an incease in pedal travel of 30%.  My
current stock brakes do not have much play and I run steel hoses, so the 30%
may be OK, but this is the reason I want to take an average as my system may
be the exception rather than the rule.  I've since braced the firewall so
I'll also have minimised firewall flex.

They also suggest that unless we can get at least 16 lbs of vacume out of
the system, there is not much point in retaining the booster.  Weber DCOEs
and a hi-lift cam don't provide a lot of vacume, which is the reason why I
want to delete it.

Any help would be terrific.

Thanks!

Shane Ingate in Maryland

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE