fot

Re: Engine question

To: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Engine question
From: tom strange <tstrange@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
Ed,
  Crazy.... no .... behind the times ,,, yes, a little....
  STATEMENT ONE.... above all else... you will find this is  HIGHLY illegal in
most all organizations that run vintage stuff, unless the engine originally
came with it.....
  Statement two ....(insert sheepish grin here) ... I have been wanting to work
on this project for a long time...
  Step one comes this next winter... I'm having my lifter bores bored out to
take stock chevy solid lifters.  This alone will add immeasurably to the cam I
can use... (ps this is also illegal) ... grin ...
  Step 2... will be the hard part.  Roller lifters come with a strapping bar
they rotate on which keeps them in line with the cam.  These bars pair the
lifters up.  On our engines we have spots where simply changing the length of
the bar will work... we also have spots where we will have to mate 3 lifters to
2 bars.  This will be quite tricky I think.  my first guess is to match the
machining they have on one side of the lifter with identical machining on the
back side.  Allowing the center lifter to carry two bars, one on each side,
with the lifter on one side strapped in a proper fashion, and the other
backwards.  This will probably mean machining on two lifters rather than just
the center one, as I dont think the roller is always centered on the lifter...
we would have to look at that on the lifter we plan to use.
  Ford and Chevy lifters are very close in size,  If we were to go this way, we
should probably look at the largest lifter we can put in.  Chevy works for now
for me, as there is a machine shop here in town that re-sleeves chevy stock
cars lifter bores for them....
  You didnt hear any of this from me, my shop, or any of my acquaintences....

  I will disavow any knowledge that this conversation ever took place .... no
problem for me any more.... give me ten minutes I will have honestly forgotten
all about it....

EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net> wrote:
Lister's:
Those of you who know me know that I've come up with some real hair brained
ideas at times. Well this question may be another one of those way out ideas.
Y'all be the judges. A couple of months ago I was working on a "blown" 496 Hemi
for a friend (by the way, this is not in a TR, it's in a "70 Superbird). I am
of the opinion that engines are pretty much the same, at least in principle.
Well, come to find out this has what they call roller cams and lifters. Not
rockers mind you. The lifter has a set of roller bearings in the surface which
contacts the cam lobe. The cam lobe is ground with the same amount of lift as a
normal cam for this car, but the ramp to fully open is extremely steep and the
open duration is very long. The roller bearings are there to handle the extreme
loads placed on the lifter by the steepness of the lobe.
The idea with it is to decrease the amount of time the valve is moving between
closed and open, and leave it fully open longer. Sounds like a great idea to
me! There are other considerations to take into account. With this setup they
don't want the lifters to rotate for obvious reasons, so they place a pivoting
bar between every two lifters to stop this. Kinda hard to describe without a
picture, but a needed evil that I think could be substituted by something else.
Anyway, my question is; has anyone ever seen this setup before? Tried it on one
of our TRactor motors before? Think I'm crazy? (don't all raise your hands). It
just strikes me in my idle time that we send piles of money for roller rockers
which look cool but gain us very little h.p., while roller lifters may gain
more. By the way, I'm told this is twenty year old technology. My friend is
suppose to give me a used roller lifter to play with so I'm interested in your
ideas. Thanks - Ed

Tom
#4 white spitfire