fot

Airstream Project

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Airstream Project
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:44:27 -0700
I'm making great progress on my Peyote hauler. Vie gutted the interior and
made the first rough cuts for the back door. So far, so good. I'm building
the door frame now. I found a couple of surplus equipment racks from our
data center that are large aluminum extruded C-beams. Tonight I'm going to
slit them down the middle, reverse one side and reweld the whole thing so I
have a Z-beam. The outward-facing leg of the Z will form the flange on the
frame on the outside of the trailer, while the inner leg forms the door
stop. I settled on a door that goes less than full height of the rear of the
trailer to simplify the fabrication (less curve to deal with). It will clear
Peyote's roll bar by about a foot.

So here's my question to any other closet Airstream remodelers in the FOT
(and I know there are some). Does anyone know how the tanks are attached?
I'm afraid I know the answer--that they are dropped onto the frame before
the floor gets put on. It's too much to hope for that they are stuck in from
the bottom before the lower skin gets put on. It would be a shame to carve
the floor up--it's a single piece of chipboard, 32 feet long--must be a lot
of fun placing it on the frame.