fot

RE: Airstream

To: "'Brad Kahler'" <brad.kahler@141.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Airstream
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:15:59 -0700
So I've made my cuts and fabricated the door edges--or at least the curved
parts. I think this is going to work very well. Brad, I'll send you and
anyone else that wants them some pictures of the progress. The tricky part
will be the lower hinge for the ramp. I cut the frame extension off that
holds the stock bumper and black waste hose storage. I need to square them
up and go a little shorter.

I'm going to trim the floor back to half way through the first cross girder
(the floor is trimmed to the edge right now) and put in a steel plate bent
in an L to cover the frame ends and provide a platform for the hinges. The
hinge will be at the edge of the frame and the outside edge of the
door/ramp.

The ramp is going to be a challenge--I want it to be light but it has to be
long too, so it can accommodate the high rise without ripping up the bottom
of the car. The extreme end of the trailer is no place for a heavy door. I'm
contemplating making the rear door just a door (light), and using folded
aluminum arched ramps. http://www.discountramps.com/heavy_duty_runners.htm
the 10 foot long, 12 inch wide folding ones at the bottom of the page look
ideal. Sure wouldn't want to try to build them for that price.