fot

Re: Broken crank survey

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Broken crank survey
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:38:03 EDT
Fellow parts busters-
I once tried a hi-revving motor with an F cam (the latest at the time) and a
big port head that was hogged out even more. I turned that poor puppy well
over 7k for long periods. Amazingly, it never broke anything and I used about
10
races. I did have to mill the tops of the pistons down as the rods stretched
so much that the pistons hit the head (no room for carbon buildup here!)
Actually that motor with a stock head is still in my street TR3! It was built
with
stock crank, rods and hepolite pistons.
On the flip side, I have broken 2 rods, both at the oil hole and cracked one
crank and broken another in two. These items were all prepped to the limits of
the time. The rods were polished and shotpeened and the cranks were polished
and nitrided.

Oh the humanity...
    Nick in Nor Cal