fot

Re: Rev limiter revisited-Pertronix

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rev limiter revisited-Pertronix
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:37:04 -0700
I felt good doing 1:41 and felt there is more in my car.  I think I
understand what you're saying about turn 4, I do brake and head for an apex
which I can't find.  When I went on to the racetrack for the first time, an
instructor took me around the course and I think that is what he had shown
me.  I think I got overwhelmed by the track and forgot it.
It seems that turn 10 is the same way and I have a lot of trouble there.  I
think I brake too early and try to find an early apex.  I went and watched
some racers go around it and they seem to make it more of a straight away.
In turn 5, I try to cut the corner and get my outside tires on the concrete
patch and when I do, I can stand on the throttle and the car rides like it's
on rails.  If I miss it, the traction isn't there.  If I get 5 right, 6 is a
breeze.  I ride a lot of Porchies on their tails in those spots and even
into 7 only to have them pull away from me half way down the straight and
then I catch them sometimes in 10,11,& 12 and have them burn me on the
straight again.  The good part is I can usually out brake and out accelerate
most of them in the chicane, but it can be hard to make it stick between 3
&4.
I'm working on the PI for the next race, so hopefully I'll have some top end
power to keep up with them.  My group can be a tough group when I run with
the Vettes, Stangs, Camaros and occasional Falcon.
I'd love to shave a couple of seconds here and there and I think I can do it
with a little tuning, me and the car.  I also plan on putting a rear sway
bar on the car this winter and doing something with the diff.  I run an open
diff right now and since I got Corvair axels, I think I'm going for a LSD or
maybe a welded diff.  I'm also going to probably put a heavier sway bar in
the front end.  I looked in the rules for SOVREN and I think I read it to
say I can't change the style or mounting points of the shock  I think I'm
going to have to do some real tuning on those.
Hey the shocks made a difference and I thank you for again the bolt.
Charly