fot

Racing in the jungle

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing in the jungle
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:21:55 -0500
Since this was a hot racing weekend all around the country I'll tell you all
about the "love fest" the Texas FOT had at Texas World Speedway this
weekend. I have been racing at TWS for 8 years and never had an experience
like this one. The folks in Florida may be familiar with the slender little
fly-like bugs that fly around while doing the nasty together. They are
called Love Bugs because of this enviable behavior. Nothing else of a
positive nature can be said for them. They have no natural enemies other
than speeding cars. Someone said that birds ignore them, but such a tender
morsel must be appealing. Apparently their procreating skills have been
paying off, because TWS was  inundated with a Love Bug plague for the ages.
On the Friday test and tune day people were complaining about overheating
due to blocked radiators. Racers had to come in after 3 or 4 laps because
they couldn't see. Some left and went home. Saturday started out better, as
the bugs are late sleepers, but got progressively worse. We were fortunate
to have some good conceptual thinks amongst us, and a Walmart nearby. Soon
we were spraying the forward portions of are cars with Pam, placing A/C
filter material in front of the radiators and taping ill-fitting borrowed
tear-offs on our helmets. We made the best of it.

FOT in attendance were the TR3A of Larry Young, continuing to turn heads and
faster lap times in our historic Group. He won most of his races all
weekend, giving a 6 cylinder Healey and a 356 a spanking.  Novice Joe Hovey
continued to improve his lap times and dependability with his Spitfire. For
a new guy, he is doing great, making all the races and finishing in one
piece. That's the most important part of the battle. John Price has been
working to improve the handling of his TVR 2500. The TR6 powerplant is
wonderful but the car handles poorly. He's made changes to springs, ride
height, shocks and now tires. He spent the weekend learning how to drive on
new tires and lowering pressures with some good success.

I came with my trusty TR4 fresh from studying my VIR tapes and determined to
correct my tendency to brake early and turn in too soon.  Turn one at VIR
didn't look so tough on tape, but I did have tape of different 3 guys
spinning there. I scrapped the Kevlar brake pads and switched back to
Mintex. If I was going to brake later, I needed the confidence to do it and
I knew I liked them from previous experience. I had success, chopping off
1.5 seconds off my best time with Hoosiers. Still 3 seconds slower then I
was on 008's but I'm getting there. I also ran towards the front, finishing
4th twice and 7th in the feature race in a 30 car field of CP, DP and EP
cars, by far my best finishes ever in a competitive field. I was much more
aggressive than ever before in not giving ground to the 911's and 240Z's and
found that I could ruin with them at the top of my game.

Even more fun was the Saturday afternoon race. Bugs were not an issue in a
downpour. As we sat on the grid it began to rain, reminiscent of VIR only it
got worse. There I was, car all Pam'd up, a/c filter in place and 2 tear
off's,  getting soaked. I was gridded ninth, but with the rain I would start
sixth. The pace lap was slow wet but I thought I saw some chance of the rain
ending and turns 5 and 6 looked pretty dry. As we completed the pace lap two
of the cars in front of pulled into the pits. It was pouring down hard on
the front straight and the race start was going to be interesting. It is
always a good strategy to  take advantage of the spray you leave behind to
separate yourself from the pack and hopefully stay on the tarmac. The green
flag dropped and an MGB flew by me dropping visibility to zero. I backed out
a bit and moved down the track next to a Beemer with my visibility clearing
in time to avoid the green MGB following a 911and another fast MGB off turn
one. Fighting for visibility, I maintained position through the turn 2-3
complex gaining inside position and the race lead in 3. I held that spot for
almost 2 laps before giving it up to another 911. I managed to hold on for a
fourth place finish as the rain never let up.

Larry is off to Road America, I wish him well. TxFOT and other FOT will be
back at Hallet OK October 8-10. I understand we may have 8 Triumphs that
weekend. Should be fun.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com