fot

RE: fot-digest V1 #1244

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: fot-digest V1 #1244
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:08:52 -0700
> However, it
> will forever be a "gross poluter" to the state due to a failed
> test more than 4
>  years ago.

Which is why I ask for an "off the record" test if I have any doubts it will
pass.  Your "test only" station may not be able to do them, but you are
allowed to go to a "Gold Shield" station that can.

> So instead of saving up to buy a triple Weber set-up and make decent
> power  like other 6's, I will amble around detuned to please the
> smog police for
> as long as I can pass muster.

I probably shouldn't mention this ... but it's quite possible to increase
power substantially while still passing the smog check.  More compression
and a mild cam will do wonders for power, and still let you pass if you get
the mixture right.  You'll need a sympathetic test/repair station to help
you tune it ...

And seriously, what are the chances that the kid at the test station knows
the difference between a ZS and a Weber ?  My station doesn't even have a
book that tells them what carb should be on there ... or exhaust manifold,
etc.  You have to have all the right visible emissions equipment, but I'm
pretty sure they only test the EGR valve for operation.

Friend of mine's 79 (?) Buick Regal routinely passes smog with the wrong
carb, headers, 10.2:1, mild cam, etc.  That thing is seriously fast !

Randall