fot

Re: Hallet Report

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>, "Larry Young"
Subject: Re: Hallet Report
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:15:54 -0500
She said that? If I'm having a "post mid-life crisis" aren't I supposed to
be doing something a little different? Buy a Ferrari or start dating 20 year
olds? If she said that does that mean I have a free pass on some
misbehavior? I'll ask her.............
Nope, no pass. Unfortunately John is correct. What really happened is that I
watched some of my in-car videos and realized I was braking and turning-in
too soon, too often. I vowed to improve. And, I noticed that I never spin or
run off the track. All the fast guys do that. I was thinking that I don't
push it close enough to the edge. That one was easy to fix.  I slide off the
down hill near-hairpin turn 3. Scary stuff. That alone should have told me
to check all the brakes, but I just bled the fronts. Unfortunately the car
had developed a pretty good leak in the left rear wheel cylinder which
washed down the shoes. I didn't find it until after the second Saturday
race, and I didn't adjust my driving style very well to the 100% front
braking.  You get used to your car and think you know what to expect out of
it.

Sunday was a major washout. In a way I'm glad the Jack and Joe show skipped
this year. Sunday was not much fun. Jim Elbe did quite well in the rain
until he ran out of room under braking and kissed a tire wall. Larry
completely dominated Group 4 all weekend, with only a token challenge from
Fred Crowley's 100-6. The PA announcer was in love with Larry's car. Called
it an "elbow dragger" over and over and over. He told us all about a high
school trip he took in a similar color TR3. Over and over again! He was
having that mid life crisis!

I completely wore out the new Hoosiers I bought at VIR. The fronts that I
flat spotted were worn to the limit and then some. Flat spotting put them to
the cords. I only got 2 1/2 race weekends out of them. It may be the tracks
I was as Hallet is rough and I did a lot of drifting, but I'm disappointed
in the tire life. CVAR will let me run 50 series tires and I'm considering
that option. Is anyone running 50 series tires on 6" rims? Can you offer
advice on fit? The 205-50 is quite a bit shorter but will fit and I could
lower the car. Me-thinks the 225-50 would stick out too far and foul the
fenders. The available tires are quite a bit cheaper, especially the
Falkens.

p.s. Falkens, umm. Did you ever hear the comedy bit about the teacher
lecturing his NYC class about the Faukland Island War.  A student asks
"Which Faukland Island are you talking about. There's Coney Faukland Island,
Long Faukland Island, Staten .......

Sorry for the off color theme.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com