fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #1249

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #1249
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:54:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/04 5:04:12 AM, owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:57:15 -0400
> From: "Simon Rasmussen" <Simon@telephonestogo.ca>
> Subject: Derrington Wheel
>
> When I purchased my TR4a nine years ago it came with a wood rim steering
> wheel
> I couldn't identify. I soon replaced it with a more modern wheel as the
> diameter was large enough to catch my fingers against my knee in tight
> corners, and the rim and spokes are thin enough to be quite flexible.
> I saw a picture the other day of a similar wheel described as a "Derrington"
> steering wheel, presumably made by the Derrington tuning company in England.
> It is not as well finished as a modern wheel, almost homemade looking.
> Does anyone know anything about these steering wheels?
> Thanks, Simon.

Among members of the Austin-Healey Concours Registry, the Derrington
wood-rimmed steering wheels have been a topic of serious research and we've got
pretty good handle on them. Their origin is shrouded in the mists of history,
but
we believe that they were originally made by the Healey experimental
department manager for use on the land-speed record cars in '54, and then
subcontracted
to the Derrington company, which manufactured race-tuning equipment (alloy
heads, intake manifolds, headers, etc.). The entire line of Healey 100S
factory-built race cars were equipped with them. The most often seen had a
sixteen
inch diameter (though 14in and 15in were also listed in their catalog). They
were
constructed of a single aluminum disc, cut out in the spoke area (spokes were
either drilled or slotted), then surfaced with marine plywood on the rim
fastened to the rim with rivets, with the wood routed in the rear for finger
depressions, sanded, shellacked, and polished. The distinctive feature of the
Healey wheels was that the three spokes were at 120 degree angles so that the
wheel
spokes wouldn't obscure the gauges. These wheels were often installed on
competition cars because they were sturdier and wouldn't deform as easily or
shatter in crashes as would the plastic-rimmed wheels.
Versions with similar, but not identical appearance are now being
manufactured by several small companies.
It seems possible that Derrington may have made wheels with similar
construction for Triumphs. If anyone wants more detail, let me know off-list.
Cheers
Gary Anderson