fot

RE: LSD/Quaife

To: "'Gt6steve@aol.com '" <Gt6steve@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: LSD/Quaife
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:34:45 -0800
 That's pretty much the deal--you can get good lap times with a quaife, but
you have to drive for the diff. Of course you can do the same thing with an
open diff. Heck, it's really good practice in car control to race a car with
an open diff. You learn exactly how to manage wheel weighting with the
steering wheel and throttle (or maybe you don't and everyone passes you).

The big advantage of the salisbury is that you simply drive the car.
Traction is never an input. It might not be worth any improvement in lap
time when you have an open track and nothing to do but practice being
smooth. The moment when a salisbury or an open diff loses traction is when
you're battling for a place or doing some late braking, dive for the apex
move to hold off a fast car behind you.  It's not Murphy's law--driving to
keep your diff happy doesn't win races--unless you're Jimmy Clark or Mario
and can keep all those variables in order while at the edge of control. We
mere mortals will probably never get our best lap time struggling for first
place.