fot

Walter Mitty - Atlanta April '05

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Walter Mitty - Atlanta April '05
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:56:52 -0500
Group,

Last night my friend Neil Estes and I met with four of the MGVR Planning
Committee to work on the details of the MG/TR Challenge. As hard as I tried
otherwise, I could not bring myself to feel anything but friendship and
camaraderie for the whole damn group of them. Except for their five pages of
planning agenda and a near anal compulsion to have everything worked out
ahead of the last minute, they were almost just like us.

Even though I'm trying not to cave into their way of thinking there are a
couple of issues I need to address:

1.                   How many of you plan to attend? Joe A, are you keeping
a list?

2.                   How do you feel about having a "Triumph" hotel for our
group? The MG types are doing this.

3.                   How do you all feel about a Friday night $25-30 dollar
dinner with a celebrity speaker like ...? Even if we have to sit with the MG
guys in the big tent up on the hill? Saturday night dinner is sponsored by
HSR or somebody. This shindig usually has a lot of beer, wine and OK food
with a pretty good band. One night a couple of years ago I learned to dance
the Boogaloo there. I practiced until the wee hours.

4.                   In a moment of weakness, I agreed to assist Bob Van
Kirk (MG Midget) in locating each of you in our designated paddock on
Thursday afternoon. Yes. I will take reservations but not without some
consideration.

5.                   Remember, on Wednesday evening we have a tour of the
Panoz factory. This is going to be awesome!

6.                   Inasmuch as our MG/TR group has been given a designated
paddock area along the front straight and remote from the great unwashed, we
will have our own tech inspection. Tell me again about the chances for a
bigass tent which we could put between our two groups to serve as both tech
and hospitality (& rain shelter).

7.                   There appears to be about twenty motor home locations
immediately adjacent to the paddock but I'll find out more about that later.
Probably open trailers will have to be located remote from the paddock.

I apologize for having to lay all this out to you so early but these MG
types are simply beyond belief. If they weren't so damn likable it would be
easy to do just like we always do. You know, just figure it out when you get
to the track. I've done it this way for twenty plus years. But I, for one,
am willing to try out this organization thing one time. I simply can't be
that bad.  For any of you of an organized mind, I'll do whatever I can to
help work things out too. And for any of you anti-social cranks like me,
I'll even offer you the military bunk beds in the back of my shop to crash
in so that you don't have to engage in the uncertain civility of your fellow
racers.

My suspicion is that this is going to be a pretty good event.

Richard Taylor

TR-4