fot

RE: Wheel Studs (was Triumph Related, Second Science Project)

To: emanteno@comcast.net
Subject: RE: Wheel Studs (was Triumph Related, Second Science Project)
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:31:58 GMT
I am using Mark Williams axles in my TR 3 rather than the Moser that came with
the Southwick conversion (I twisted a Moser axle a while back).  Anyway, these
came with threaded holes for the studs, rather than splined.  The "stud" is
basically a high quality bolt.  I red locktited them in and they have not been
an issue.  If the holes have not wallowed out too big, perhaps you can thread
the hubs.  Joe(B)

-- emanteno@comcast.net wrote:

> <<...just drop a tack weld on the back to prevent the stud from turning...>>

> So I've thought about putting a tack weld on the stud at the back of
> the hub, but was concerned about the potential of the heat creating
> zones of differing temper in the hub's material, possibly leading to
> cracks and the badness we sought to avoid by using these axles in the
> first place.
I was advised not to use the hubs that came with my race car for that very
reason, and I replaced them. I have NAPA 1/2" studs in my hubs now that are
from a GM car, and have had no problems with them spinning in the hubs.
Irv Korey

NetZero Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.netzero.com/give