fot

RE: Wanted Oil Cooler Adapter Plate for TR4A engine

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wanted Oil Cooler Adapter Plate for TR4A engine
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:57:22 -0800
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the oil cooler adapter plates on my shelf
> divert ALL the oil flow from the pump, putting the total volume and
> pressure of
> the pump through the oil cooler, (and filter if remote) before the pressure
> relief valve. A thermostat in that line will block all oil pressure when
> closed. Not a good thing.

As Charly said, the usual oil cooler thermostat has a bypass, so that the cold
oil is diverted to the return line rather than just
being blocked off.
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html

An oil thermostat is actually a very good idea for a car that's driven on the
street, as over-cooling the oil will keep it from
boiling off contaminates, reducing both oil & engine life.

Randall