fot

Ahead three, back two

To: "'fot@autox.team.net '" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ahead three, back two
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:03:42 -0800
Having one of those weekends. I'm hiding down in the shop 'cause the in-laws
are here. Will be for as much as a MONTH!!  My father in law is recuperating
from major surgery at our house. That's what I get for making the place so
comfortable. Oh well, on the bright side, I'll get vast amounts of work
done, both in the office and the shop.

I pulled the entire master cylinder setup off Peyote today--the tiltons I
swapped in were too tall, and I can't find a place to locate remotes. Back
to integral resevoirs. I'm going to use wilwoods instead of girlings. Those
sand cast M/C are just a bit too funky and the wilwoods are cheap--42 bux
each. While I'm at it I'm going to build a real balance bar instead of the
step-adjustable one peyote has now. I never could get it quite right. I like
the front brakes to lock just before the rears. I got spoiled by the
Radical--I could change the bias as the track conditions and tire temps
changed. Nice.

Then I took the front suspension apart for the fifteenth time because I had
a nasty feeling something was wrong--at full lock (more than I can get with
a tire in place) the right front arm was rising slightly. Took it all apart,
didn't find anything, put it all back together and it's not doing it. Hmmm.
I guess I fixed it. Don't you love those kind of deals. While I was at it I
tweaked the bump steer again. I got the last little bit out by raising the
left end the thickness of a flat washer and the right end not at all.
Perfectly straight line on the graph paper. At least something went well.

I can't believe how pretty Peyote looks. I must be getting weird. But the
nice straight lines of polished solid rivets are very purposeful looking. I
hope I haven't lost it's mojo with all this polishing.