fot

Fw: 1958 Triumph - American Rally of Europe

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: 1958 Triumph - American Rally of Europe
From: "michael cook" <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:42:20 -0500
FOT-

I received this message and do not have the expertise to advise him. Anybody
have suggestions as to how he can do it?

Mike Cook
Mike:

About a year ago, I wrote you some notes looking for information related to
the American Triumph Rally of Europe.  I have a 1958 TR3A #30418L that took
part in the 1958 event.  I am in the process of restoring the car, but I have
run into some difficulty.  I am replacing the bearings and components in the
rear-end, but I am having trouble getting the correct pinion to crown-wheel
distance.  I want to keep the original numbered rear-end, as all the numbers
on the car are correct.  I have contacted numerous companies and individuals
looking for help on how to set the pinion distance with current tools.
However, it seems that to get it right, one needs the original Churchill Tool
(M84) to get the setting right.  I was wondering if you could help me in
trying to locate the proper tool, or in contacting someone who can give me a
step-by-step with todays tools (dial indicator and pinion checking tools from
Jegs).

If you have a contact who may have these original tools (Kas Kastner?), I
would be willing to put forth a substancial deposit in order to use the tool
for a short period of time.  The Roadster Factory charges over $1,000 to
rebuid a rear end, and that is without a new crown and pinion!  Besides, I am
trying to learn about this car inside and out, and would like to do the workj
myself.  I am a VTR member (14240), a Porsche club racer and a great car
enthusiast.  Any help or suggestions that you could provide would be greatly
appreciated.  (attached is a phot of the dash plaque from the car).

Thanks

Joel Duling
3530 Sycamore Circle
Idaho Falls, Idaho  83402