fot

Cams-Final Elementry Question

To: tony@tonydrews.com, BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Cams-Final Elementry Question
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:55:21 EST
tony@tonydrews.com writes:

<< That is retarded.  Moving toward a higher number btdc or lower number atdc
 is advancing the cam.>>

I have been degreeing in cams for years using a degree wheel and a made up
cam follower tool that Kas shows in his books.  I have gone through Kas's
original  D, F, and G-3 cams plus about three or four G-3 regrinds, which have
all
perished in explosions along the way.  I have several other cams on the shelf
with a Jack Wheeler discarded Crane cam presently in the engine (Bill Jenks G-3
regrind, Pacos cam, Tabor Cam, another Crane cam, etc., on the shelf).

During my several past efforts to get all of the lobes to open and close as
nearly as possible where they should, I have finally given up on this effort.
I get the Number 1 valve to open as closely as possible where it should open,
and hope that the rest of the valves open and close approximately where they
should.  The engines have always run, but maybe not at their total peak
performance.

QUESTION: How is the duration of the cam determined -- by adding the degrees
BTDC and the degrees ATDC plus twice the checking clearance?  It is probably
not quite that simple since the numbers do not work out.