fot

Re: aerodynamics question

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aerodynamics question
From: joe dirt <oldskooling@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:54:09 -0800 (PST)
Wow, this is a fun discussion :). Anyway that was also mentioned in a later
thread on that site. Many guys try to sit as low in the car as they can trying
to keep the main hoop out of the airstream. Many also take the time to line up
all the tubes the best they can so the front bars punch a hole in the air with
the bars behind them sitting in that already turbulent air.
http://theracesite.com/index.cfm?template=pa&form_pa_id=513&form_photo_num=2 .
Kind of like that car's cage. A lot of guys don't run full hoops though, and
the SCCA has recently mandated a 50% width (of the cockpit I believe) minumum
hoop. Also keep in mind I'm just going by what I'm looking at, and as Kas has
already said "you can't tell much just by looking."
Jack or Tony, how much lighter is new blue compared to old blue?

-Bob Adams

.

N197TR4@cs.com wrote:
Nothing is mentioned here about roll cages stuck up into the airstream:

...I have always felt that big ugly full hoops with generous amounts of
padding create more drag than a nicely shaped coupe configuration.

When I look at my rather tall roll bar and all of it's appendages, I shudder
to think about all of the turbulence it creates.

> Keep in mind that is with a windshield. They had a similar discussion on
> the SCCA production car forum. This is what was said
>
> "1.) An open car with no windscreen and a fairing and/or tonneau to smooth
> the air across the cockpit is the fastest of the bunch.
> 2.) a closed car with a well-designed rear window area (like a fastback or a
> little lip wing) is second fastest.
> 3.) an open car with a full-height windscreen and an open cockpit is at a
> disadvantage as is a closed car with a poorly designed rear window (think of
> 510)
>
> The reasons are that the back side of the windscreen in an open car becomes
> a low pressure area. Air rushing over the car is sucked down into the cockpit
> creating turbulence and drag. The same is true of the poorly designed closed
> car - it's just that the drag is above the trunk. A Fastback helps close the
> airstream over the car and creates less turbulence. The open car with no
> windshield (just a fairing or tonneau) has the least frontal area and no
>place
> for turbulence or drag to slow the car except behind the rear bumper. I hope
> that helps. If I were driving a Spec Miata, I'd want the top on. but if I
>were
> driving an EP/FP Miata with no upright windshield, It would be a roadster.
> -Basil"
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> -Bob Adams

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!