fot

RE: Accusumps

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Accusumps
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:36:08 -0800
Interesting timing--I guess we're all working on getting ready and it's time
to check out the oil system. I have an older unit with electric valve and I
just switched back to manual yesterday. The older electric valve is low
flow, and that's what the new valves are supposed to cure, but the new
valves also have a pressure differential characteristic that I'm not clear
on--it looks like the electric actuator opens a pilot that uses oil pressure
to open the valve. I could be wrong about that, I'm just guessing from the
picture on the website and the fact that it looks like the kind of internal
pressure pilot valve that was used on non-critical systems at nuke plants.
The manual valve is a ball valve that gives full flow and is probably
superior to both the old and new electric valves.  I think if you can mount
the accusump so you can reach the valve that you're much better off with
manual. I have no problem reaching it, but thought that having the valve
automatically close when the engine is turned off to maintain accusump
pressure, with a manual override (a momentary switch) to pre-pressurize the
oil system before starting would be a great approach. I decided it's not
worth the trade off