fot

Re: tilton, or other jim-crack clutches

To: <Editorgary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: tilton, or other jim-crack clutches
From: "David Wingett" <elkhorn@core.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:11:36 -0500
Bob
        Tilton has given up on making Triumph flywheels.  They will however
do one off stuff at there shop rate.  I have been using a 7 1/4" OTII for
some time and am looking for something else, like a 5.5" disk.

        Tilton makes both a 5.5" button clutch which has no flywheel and a
clutch assembly for a conventional flywheel.  Check out there web site.
They have assembly drawings with some basic dimensions.  What I'm thinking
of doing is to ask Tilton to make a button clutch with our crank bolt
pattern and shaft diameter and making a flex plate myself for the button
clutch.   I've already looked at cutting down the Stock flywheel for the
flexplate.  The second thought , is to just make a friction pressure plate
flywheel with an integrated ring gear. The gear could be cut with a wire
feed cutter ( ECM ).  If I can find all the proper dimensions for the gear.
My thought is that this can be done. Creg Taylor at Taylor racing has
allready made for me a bell housing with an adjustable throw-out bearing.

        My daughter and her team at Western Mich. had done some basic foot
work on this project.  But it seems there senior paper is now going towards
studying the molecular structure, friction properties, shear & torque stuff
bla,bla bla..(Way over my head ) of the material used.   Not the design /
development & assembly of  MY NEW CLUTCH ASSEMBLY.   This what I get when
you asking a rocket sciencetest to build a hammer.  So it's back in my
court.....

        May be there are others of our group interested in something like
this?   Just looking for input here, I have most of the dimensions and can
get most of the work done.   Thoughts?

            David W.
            TR6  E/P