fot

Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature Gage

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature Gage
From: "John W" <john@race-dogs.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:43:53 -0700
Couple of questions?
What type of probes you using ?? There are 3 types in the std. K model.
Mostly the difference is how fast they react and how long they last - The
most sensitive ones are the one I use with my Digital EGT in all 4 cyl and a
switch to read 2 cyl at once, so far been in for 2 years and no problems -
You said needle so that is a analog type of meter- Is it just starting to
move?  Then by your description you are approaching 800 degrees - You should
be between 900-1000 at idle - So if they are working? Then you are very rich
or if the car is not running right I would check all the mechanical issues
first by doing a leak down, just to make sure you are not overcompensating
for something else- I don't have much experience with SU's so I could to
tell you how to adjust the carb - Now at wide open throttle you should be at
around 1275-1300 -(optimum is 1325-1350) I like a little safety zone - I
take a look at this right before I hit the brakes at the end of the
straight - More important that you get all cylinders within 50 of each
other-  I gave up the old plug read bit long ago and took the guessing game
right out of it with the EGT's - I can now adjust and fine tune my Webbers
at each track for that particular day as well, mostly with just slight
adjustments and know I'm getting all the power possible -
Good luck -

John Wilkins
Spitfire #892 DP