fot

RE: Tr6 intake gasket

To: "'rob '" <19to1tr6@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Tr6 intake gasket
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:12:59 -0700
 The steel sandwitch is the best gasket, I think. It's a little more trouble
to cut, but I use a small air die grinder with a good sharp carbide burr and
run it at max speed (100# pressure for mine) with a very light touch to keep
the speed up. This makes clean cuts, very fast. When I'm feeling
particularly fussy I run a bit of masking tape around the inside of the port
to give me some warning that I'm touching. I clamp the gasket with a large
nut over the studs, followed by a washer and the right size nut. You can get
a very precise gasket match this way. You'll probably also find the bottom
edge of the gasket is too long if your head has been milled--I trim the
extra off with tin snips.

You may not gain a thing with all that effort though. There is a school of
thought that says big intake ports matched to a small manifold port is a
good thing. I don't have a dyno handy anymore, but used to try weird stuff
like that with motorcycles all the time. We actually made orifices that fit
between the manifold and head that delivered a nice bump on the dyno, and
spread the torque curve a lot. Tried to sell them for Honda 750s and
Kawasaki Z1s, but no one believed them--even after a positive review in the
long-defunct Cycle Guide magazine. Never sold a single one.