fot

RE: FOT T-Shirts

To: Robertten1@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: FOT T-Shirts
From: <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:04:52 +0000
So my question is ...  what isthe story behind everything in the logo.  Some
look obvious but I  would love to hear the whole story of the design.

Bob and everyone,

   I was approached by Joe Alexander and Jack Drews to design a logo for the
FOT many moons
   ago. Their description of the group went something like, "We're a
organization with no
   organization... There's no meetings, no officers, no dues and no
pretentions." In essence a group
   of Grouchos who wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that
would have them as a
   member.

   My design flies in the face of this "lack of pretention" by being
pretentious. It's a "proper" heraldic
   display, (if you want specifics I could tell what "proper" means), kind
of like a country club... I was
   in to heraldry in a former life and thought a series of jokes for the FOT
logo would fill the bill
   perfectly.

   I started with the old Triumph "Open Book" logo which looked a bit like
an old "heater" shield.
   The logo was "quartered". The upper left (first quarter) is a leaky oil
can with drops of oil. The
   lower right (fourth quarter) depicts the gauntleted fist of the Prince of
Darkness clutching a
   lightning bolt, broken (it speaks for itself). The upper right (second
quarter) and lower left (third
   quarter) allow the original TR logo to show through. The flags
(supporters) originally were to be
   the "faster car behind you" which survives and the "debris on track" flag
which was replaced by
   the "checkers" (hey, we have been known to win occasionally) "Amici
Triumphi" is proper latin
   (provided by a latin scholar) The helmet is a modern racing helmet as
opposed to the knights
   helmet on a more medieval display. The circlet of laurels is an homage to
the later Triumph logo.

   That's about it,

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois