fot

Columbia River Classic

To: fot@autox.team.net, "'budscars@msn.com'" <budscars@msn.com>
Subject: Columbia River Classic
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:04:55 -0700
Getting better and better. I'm having a lot of fun helping to get this race
together--especially the non-race parts.

We've found an ideal venue for the off-track party. Turns out one of the
SOVREN members has just finished restoring a 1939 Signal Gas Station in St.
Johns, just a few miles from the track. It's cool beyond belief. I can't
believe this guy has sourced the actual pumps that were there in 1939 and
they're just there out in the open instead of in some collectors locked
garage. And all the original neon. It's a sight to see after dark.  We're
confident that we'll be able to block off the street and have a monster
block party with most people in vintage-appropriate dress (we're awarding
prizes for the best individual, best group theme, best paddock theme, best
race worker individual and group theme).

We have a Vintage Ferrari Transporter coming-that and a parade of
cars--perhaps even some of the Can Am cars (we'll have a full Can Am grid)
driving to the event will make for some great eye candy. Plus a fabulous
band and raft of umbrella girls to break the ice. All that plus a stunningly
accommodating neighborhood association equals a fabulous party. The plan is
to have a large number of top-level restaurants participating, offering
small samples of their best dishes. Also wine from the best vineyards and
beer from the best microbreweries. Anyone who knows Portland understands
that will be extremely good.

There will also be at least one and possibly two on-track parties. Plus
spectator and crew events all weekend long. We've got a whacky crewe putting
this together.

We've also settled on how the All British Challenge race will be run. We'll
start cars in blocks on the basis of their qualifying time. At least a ten
lap race, maybe twelve of more. Looks like some of the cars will have as
much as a two lap lead! Should be an absolute blast.

Labor day. Portland. Three day event plus the Lotus club is having an open
test and tune day on Friday. More track time than you can possibly handle.
This is going to be fun. The web site will be up soon, but you can register
your car at
http://www.sovren.org/competition/events/event_information.htm#Columbia%20Ri
ver%20Classic

To paraphrase the bard:

And gentlemen everywhere now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That raced with us upon Labor day.