fot

Re: F1's Cluster

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, <triumph_marx@freenet.de>,
Subject: Re: F1's Cluster
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:43:44 -0500
No problem. This is the longest sustained acceleration run in Formula One.
These are cars winding 18,000 rpm, it is quite apparent when the driver
lifts. Here's how you do it.

Paint a line across the track going into T13 and another at the exit (or two
lines between 12 an 13, whatever works). Station a steward there, or 2 or 3.

You must lift at the first line, you may not get back on it until the second
line. You must coast in gear (top gear OK). The lines should be at least 4
seconds apart at full-tilt-boogie (will be longer under deceleration).

The lift must be at or before the first line, the resume must be at or after
the second line. "At" means the nose is on the line, not half a car length
beyond (#1) or short (#2).

Fail to lift in time or resuming too early you get black-flagged for a
drive-thru. Multiple subsequent infractions get a 10-second stop in the
penalty box each (no refueling).

Drivers are told that if the stewards err, it will be to the conservative
side -- e.g., don't push it -- and their decisions are not protestable. The
lift/resume can also be monitored from the cars' telemetry like that which
shows on TV.

--Rocky Entriken

PS, IMHO, it's Michelin's fault for creating the situation, FIA's for
failing to work toward a solution.