fot

Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up! What really happened.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up! What really happened.
From: joe dirt <oldskooling@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
This was posted on the Production site that I linked to earlier..

"I was the operating steward for this race. The pace car did what was the right
thing to do. We gave them instructions for each group. The two pole guys
admitted to running up the hill at 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. The fifth place guy
was racing well before the green flag and tryed to force his way between the
wall and the car in front of him. He started scraping the wall and the guy
behind him checked up and the car that hit him started to spin and then it was
one after another into them. I am amazed that no one was killed. All the
drivers except two had hans devices.

The green flag was in deed thrown. I red flagged the race with in 3 seconds of
the green. Even with the red flag the drivers in the back just keep driving
into the rear. The red was shown at corner 15(the walk over bridge). The
drivers just did not pay attention. All drivers were forced to attend a meeting
right after the incident. They were all yelled at. Interesting that in a few
classes they are not allowed to pass until after turn 1 (Historic Gran Prix)
and turn 3 for Can Am. One historic Gran Prix driver was banned from their
series for life due to an incident in the kink.

I have to agree that the drivers in this group are some of the most agressive
drivers I have ever seen. More distrubing to me were how many fist fights
started after drivers started getting out of there cars. I feel that if they
were able to get out they should have been happy they could even move after a
incident like this.

I was very happy with how all of our crews came together to work in the heat.
We had a steady flow of water for all the rescue crews, ambulance crews and
wrecker crews while they were working in over 90 degree heat. What a great
team.

Mike Engelke"

... WOW!!

-Bob Adams