fot

RE: oil pump and compression ratio info needed

To: "'SpiwakD@aol.com'" <SpiwakD@aol.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil pump and compression ratio info needed
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:04:54 -0700
I know Greg Solow does a reworked pump. I've done my own by carefully
radiusing the slot in the pump drive and the tangs on the shaft, then shot
peening both bits to relieve stress. I also punched out the pin in the rotor
and replaced it with a Allen screw, locktited in place and punched for belt
and suspenders. I _think_ someone posted all that, I know I didn't figure it
out myself. I think it was Greg. I never bothered with pump clearance, it
seems like even a stocker gives at least 100 pounds at 6K RPM with the
relief valve screwed all the way in. I set the relief to give 90 pounds at
7K based on a liberal interpretation of the old ten pounds per 1000 RPM
thumb rule that's floating around somewhere in my head.

I noticed that setting the relief valve to a lower pressure reduces the work
of the pump, just from running the shaft with a drill. I figure that I'm
making it less likely for the shaft to break if I maintain a reasonable
pressure.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins