fot

RE: Rules, Accidents, and Vintage Racing

To: "'R. John Lye'" <rjl@gt-classics.com>, Tony Drews
Subject: RE: Rules, Accidents, and Vintage Racing
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:43:13 -0700
In general, rolling starts behind a pace car are deemed more safe than
standing starts, especially standing starts on a grid.  They are certainly
easier on the equipment as well. It's very hard to get a properly geared
four speed car to start moving, unless first is a throwaway gear.

Considering the number of vintage races that go on in the US per year, and
the size of the grids for each race, we actually do very, very well with
pace car starts.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins