fot

Re: Spitfire 4/Mk2 cylinderhead gasket thickness

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 4/Mk2 cylinderhead gasket thickness
From: claus@triumphracing.net
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:08:10 +0200 (CEST)
3 cc's was spot on using 0.030 and my deck clearance - thanks.

It is (or should become!) a race engine: I am rebuilding and upgrading on
the one I've raced for 1 1/2 season in Historics here in Denmark. The car
is/was also streetdriven, so wasn't too highly tuned. The block is an 1147
and the cylinder head is the Iron Stage 2 8-port head with a cam of
apparantly the same specifications as the original cam in the Stage 2 set.
With 2 Weber DCOE 40 and standard Mk3 valves it developed 79 hp at 6600
rpm.

During the rebuild I changed the cam to a Kent 264 reground item and have
cleaned up the cylinder head and am obviously hoping for a bit more power,
while still being able to drive on the street occasionally - at least to
and from the races, as I've done so far. I would also like the engine to
last more than one season...

Yes yes, a bit compromised, but I am realizing that I prefer driving over
long days in the garage. Next step is better flowing valves and radiused
seats, but that will not be until next year. I have 2 spare 1147 blocks so
might be able to reduce compression ratio by using a block with more deck
clearance. My own quickfix thought up solution for reducing the
compression ratio was 2 using head gaskets, but I am told that's a bad
idea. As far as my calculations go that would take the ratio back to
around 1:11,4 as Michael Porter suggested to aim for.

That might be a more practical solution than trekking to Germany for some
of that Shell V-Power 100 octane pump fuel...

 Use 3 cc's for the volume.  That will be very close.  What are you