fot

Gas Taxes in Europe

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas Taxes in Europe
From: "Scott Janzen" <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:03:06 -0400
And you know what those taxes go for in Europe?  Helping to pay for mass
transit and inter-city rail systems, to provide viable alternates to the
automobile.  Years ago, in this country, the interstate highway commission,
originally established by Roosevelt as a New Deal project, really got going
after WW II with the national highway act of 1956, funding highway systems
with federal bonds, a practice that continues to this day at a huge scale,
thus subsidizing the use of the automobile.
The Europeans have for the most part taken a different tack with zoning and
mass transit, encouraging different land use patterns.  Here, the highway
system subsidies and the GI bill, which allowed people who otherwise would
not have been able to afford new houses to get one in the newly growing
suburbs, established a pattern of sprawl.  Don't get me wrong, I love my
cars, but the land use patterns that we have established have turned us into
energy hogs.

And yes, I am going to go box up some clothes and extra stuff now - great
idea and there's plenty of it around here.  I could even donate that old
Suburban tow vehicle, giving me a good excuse to buy a newer one, which
ought to be cheap since gas prices are rising.