fot

RE: spam through the list (was Re: fot-digest V1 #1535)

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: spam through the list (was Re: fot-digest V1 #1535)
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:54:57 -0700
> Mark would need to check his logs to see where the mail "really" came from
> and how it was able to be processed by his List Manager.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the mail list software only checks the "from"
string, not IP address or anything else.  I post from several different IP
addresses, but the only time it refuses my posts is when I forget and use the
wrong "from" string.

And since "from" is easily faked (actually I'm doing it right now as I'm not
actually sending this through navcomtech.com), it's actually an easy matter to
pass something through the mail list, even a closed list like FOT, once you know
how it works and know some legitimate addresses.

Randall