fot

RE: Intake manifold ... ceramic coatings

To: "'kas kastner'" <kaskas@cox.net>, Gt6steve@aol.com, oldskooling@yahoo.com,
Subject: RE: Intake manifold ... ceramic coatings
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:23:03 -0700
I bet it will. I think I mentioned this before, but I did that with a 50cc
Grand prix bike engine about 30 years ago--a Kriedler. Compounded my own
coating. Melted the first piston I tried to coat. Good thing it was a junk
one. We wound up running the engine reliably with a very lean mix and signs
of detonation. Gave us about three more horsepower on the rear wheel dyno we
did our testing on. Any racer would sell their Mom for three horsepower with
a fifty cc motor. Unfortunately there's a difference between dyno horsepower
and race track performance. We didn't get it figured out quickly enough and
switched back to a more conventional setup for the rest of the season. The
next year the rider moved up to 125cc and I moved to Oregon. She should have
stuck with 50cc--crashed badly in the middle of the season. I don't think
she's been back on a bike. Wonderful girl, brave racer.