fot

Re: Aluminum front hubs - Clarification Needed From Uncle Jack

To: Cofrog@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aluminum front hubs - Clarification Needed From Uncle Jack
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:34:42 -0500
Dan, new uprated axles won't have any effect plus or minus on the stock
hubs.  The problem is that both the axle kit and the Alum Hub set are made
in small runs as there is enough demand for "another run".  If there's
enough demand for a run of Alum Hubs, who knows when the following run
would be.  It's too bad that it works that way, I certainly understand the
financial restraints in this stuff.  I ended up buying a set of Alum Hubs
in the original run even though I didn't need them at that time, knowing
that it was possibly the only run that would be made.

The stock hubs can be made stronger by drilling and tapping some holes -
you basically make the bolt holes that hold the rotor to the inner face of
the hub go through the outer face too.  You then use long bolts with
threads up to the head to attach the rotors - the bolts go through both
sides of the hub, tying the inner and outer halves of the hub
together.  They usually put spacers over the exposed part of the bolt where
the hub necks down.  While this doesn't fix the bearing issues with the
stock hubs, it prevents the hub from coming apart and the wheel from coming
off.  You can probably have a pair of hubs done for something like
$100.  The threads on the inner and outer face need to match so a bolt can
go through both sides.

- Tony