fot

Aluminum hubs - more info

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Aluminum hubs - more info
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:23:03 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about interest in
aluminum hubs. Well, folks, you can tell I'm an engineering type
rather than a marketing type, so sometimes my messages regarding
parts need some explanation that they don't get. So here goes some more:

First off, I have absolutely no financial interest in the sale of
these. They are supplied by Southwick Machine and Design in Colona
IL, about 10 miles away from my house, so they will be your supplier.
Southwick is a general machine shop and not usually a retailer.
Southwick is also not in the business of advertising and promoting,
so I do that for him when needed.

I commissioned them to do a design/build on aluminum hubs after
personally struggling to reinforce the stock ones, and checking out
the landed price for aluminum hubs from the UK (about 50% higher at
that time).as you would guess from the name, this shop also does the
Southwick rear axle conversion, the one that keeps you from going on
your head when a rear axle breaks, like four or five racers have
done. I commissioned that project too, no profit, just trying to give
something back to the sport that I've enjoyed for so long. I have the
prototype hubs and prototype axle and in my car and so far about 60
pair have been sold. I did about the same thing with the front axle
kit, finally discovering why the brakes were so lousy on these cars
when raced.. Mark Weathers, also a Triumphisti, completed
the  development and produces the parts, and they are sold through
Ken Gillanders' British Frame and Engine.

The motivation behind doing the hubs was to make something STRONG --
these are not lighter than stock, because the place where the hubs
break is in the necked-down portion which on the aluminum hubs is
solid, so weight comes out about the same. We also addressed the
bearing issue. I was going through at least one hub's worth of front
bearings per season and was repacking them every two races, partly
due to load and partly because braking heat degrades the lubricant.
The aluminum hubs have a larger inside bearing, with larger rollers.
In the four or five seasons I've run mine, the original bearings are
still there and I re-pack them once a year just because I feel better about it.

As Terriann pointed out, you can see a picture of what all is in the
kit by going to Tony's website, www.tonydrews.com and clicking the
link "Jack's parts". That title is misleading, I know -- I don't
personally supply any of these but will put you in touch with the
party who does. The scattershield falls in the same category.

Now more info on hub production - since they are one-piece, and
carved out of solid aluminum, the machine shop needs to buy a whole
bar (at least) of 6061-T1 aluminum - I'm not sure of the diameter but
it's big and it's very expensive. He also has to purchase all the
bearings, lip seals, etc. Southie is not a retailer, so he tries to
keep zero money invested in inventory. Therefore, when these things
are made, they are done to a known list of probable customers plus
just a few additional sets which always sell very quickly. Two
previous runs have been made - about 70 sets are in use.

I spoke with Southie today about  another run. He was pleased to see
the quantity and said he'd start the wheels in motion next week. But
he gave me a caution -- the price of aluminum is a LOT higher than
when the previous run was made, and for a reason unknown to us,
Timken bearing prices have skyrocketed. That will force the price to
be about $450, and I THINK that includes shipping to anywhere
domestically (this eliminates Southwick's need to calculate shipping
cost on each and every order). I'll verify that. I'll let you know as
soon as I know the schedule.

And lest there be any misunderstanding about my survey, nobody is
obligated for anything -- I just needed to help Southie determine the
run quantity. So if the cost is more than you had in mind, or if you
change your mind for any reason, no problemmo.

uncle jack